Winter is most definitely on its way. The days are getting darker, the mornings are getting colder and we feel less and less like waking up early and eating clean. I get it - it happens. The summer shred is over right, so why should we stay healthy? Well that's because being healthy isn't seasonal. It is about staying fit and clean all year round whilst still enjoying life's little surprises and adventures. Here is a quick and easy paleo soup recipe that you can bulk make for a whole week of lunches or dinners.
TURKEY AND VEGETABLE PALEO SOUP
- 2 cups leftover turkey, chopped;
- 1 onion, diced;
- 3 to 4 carrots, diced;
- 2 parsnips, diced;
- 2 celery stalks, diced;
- 1 cup cauliflower, riced;
- 1 ½ cups cabbage, shredded;
- 2 bay leaves;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 2 tsp. ground sage;
- 1 tsp. thyme;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Turkey stock - see below
TURKEY STOCK INGREDIENTS;
- 1 turkey carcass or 5 lbs. turkey parts (preferably bony parts, like necks and backs);
- 2 yellow onions, quartered;
- 2 celery ribs, cut into big chunks;
- 2 carrots, cut into big chunks;
- 4 garlic cloves;
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme;
- 1 bay leave;
- 4 quarts cold water;
- Freshly ground black pepper;
- Place the turkey carcass or parts in a saucepan, add all the remaining ingredients for the stock, and season to taste with pepper.
- Fill the saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a light simmer, and simmer 4 to 8 hours. (adding water if necessary).
- Strain the stock with a fine mesh sieve, throwing away all the remaining ingredients. Set aside the stock for now.
- Pick through the carcass. Remove any meat you find, and add it to the meat for the soup.
- Add all the ingredients for the soup in a large saucepan. Fill the pan with the turkey stock, and season to taste.
- Bring to a simmer, and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour.